October 6, 2012

Dale Dale Bocaaaaaa

The whole lot of us (about 15 Australian kids and I) went to our first Argentine football game last Sunday. What an experience. To say that Argentine football fans are passionate is a total understatement. Much to my relief our group stood in what seemed to be the calmest section of La Bombonera, the home stadium of the Boca Juniors. Still jam packed, complete with spiked barriers dividing each section as well as barbed wire. The cheering began before the game and didn't stop till the very end. It wasn't long before I found myself fighting my way closer to the field, joining the chanting, and shouting Spanish obscenities. The crowd's enthusiasm was certainly contagious, even for someone like myself who doesn't follow Argentine football. The chants were infectious and pretty easy to pick up. I would love to see a Boca game against River Plate (their arch rivals), but tickets are quite expensive and not easy to come by. Also, those games can be fatal to fans (seriously), so I think I'm content with just watching from the comfort of my own home!



This was us with our new Boca jerseys, excited for the game...

....versus the real Boca fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment