October 6, 2012

One Day At A Time

So I've made a few changes in my schedule here in Buenos Aires. I decided to start taking an intensive advanced Spanish course from 10 am - 1 pm Monday through Friday at the InterSpanish school, which is located in the same building as the Road2Argentina office (my volunteer organization). My class is so much fun... an awesome English/Australian girl named Natalie is the only other student in the class, and our teacher, Mago, is the sweetest. She is 24 and so charming. The three of us talk about anything and everything, all in Spanish of course. When we aren't doing grammar/reading/writing exercises we gossip and talk about our love lives and other girly things. Three solid hours of conversing in Spanish together is so helpful and fun. The three of us are getting close very quickly and my Spanish has definitely improved already, so I am super happy that I decided to take the class. Mago feels like a peer and a friend, not just our teacher, which is refreshing! She wants me and Natalie to come out with her soon to meet her friends and family. It's exciting to be building relationships with people from all over!!

As for the volunteer work in Pablo Nogues, I decided to put that on hold for the time being. The commute turned out to be a good hour and a half each way, and the area made me more uncomfortable than I expected. In general the families of Pablo Nogues are working class, so it is not considered one of the shantytowns, but there were a few things that made me dubious about whether I would even be able to get used the area. For example, the number of "street dogs"roaming the streets totally freaked me out. They are dying in the street, and it seems like no one cares enough to try to do anything about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment