September 15, 2012

No Funny Business in Buenos Aires

To be honest, it didn't take long for me to notice how dirty Buenos Aires is. Whether I really care about the cleanliness or not, is a different story. The water is perfectly fine, too. It's mainly just all of the garbage and black clouds of gas emissions. Was just an observation, and I can't decide if it's a little dirtier than New York City or not. The older French-influenced architecture is stunning, though. And La Plaza de Mayo is a very charming park, with the kind of trees that make you want to curl up against the trunk with a good book, or your journal. My impression of the city so far is that it's rather laid back, but Javiera says that the city sleeps on the weekends and transforms once Monday morning comes around. Guess I'll found out soon.

I was greeted at the elevator by Javiera, who welcomed me with a big bear hug and kiss on the cheek. I met Maxi on my way into the apartment, who must be 6'3" or taller, so his effort to kiss my cheek was much appreciated. Javiera helped me haul my belongings into my bedroom, which is very cozy. The apartment has that aged wood/old library book smell to it that I love. It's comforting for whatever reason. Javiera showed me around the kitchen, bathrooms, her bedroom, and had me practice locking and unlocking the three different sets of locks on the front door. Confusing, but I'm pretty sure we won't be expecting any break-ins. It wasn't long before Javiera informed me of our plans to take a tour of the "heart of the city"... in ten minutes. I was exhausted from the two hours of sleep I got on the plane and aching from my over-stuffed luggage, but how could I object? So out we went. She showed me the laundromat that I should use, the Congreso, various restaurants, shopping centers, stores on Avenida de Mayo, La Plaza de Mayo, La Casa Rosada, La Confiteria del Molino, the theaters on Avenida Corrientes, Buenos Aires Metropolitan Cathedral, la Plaza San Martin, the Arms Museum in Retiro--- the rest is a fuzzy blur. I definitely did not expect a 3 hour walking tour on my first day, but I'm happy I did it. I like how open Javiera is. She creates a "no bullshit/let's get down to the nitty gritty stuff" kind of atmosphere, and I'm keen on it. We talked a lot about our families in particular. I learned that she has experienced quite a bit of trauma when it comes to family, which I gather is a significant part of the reason she got involved in the homestay business. Javiera said to me, "Julita, this makes me so happy that you are here. It is just so nice." She lost her eldest son three years ago to cancer. I admire how she remains very sweet, warm and affectionate.

Maxi is also a sweetheart, but with a bit of a sassy attitude (at least toward his mother). He certainly doesn't seem as conservative as Javiera, which I also feel good about. Apparently he has decided to pursue a career in music with his melodic/heavy metal band. By day he works in the Human Rights Department of Buenos Aires, but it is clear that his passion for composing and playing music trumps the day job. We talked quite a bit about music and artists we like at dinner. He's going to show me some of his band's work, and I'm going to educate him with some progressive/alternative rock.

I like it here. I think Buenos Aires, the Otero family, and I are going to get along quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment