September 14, 2012

AY CARAMBA...Time for Some Soul Searching

...Reality is finally starting to set in, so here comes a brief moment of panic.What am I getting myself into?! I always wanted to do something like this. Live in another country, experience diverse cultures, build relationships around the world, learn languages. So what is there to worry about? Traveling alone as a young woman, who, some say is quite small, has its risks... but what I lack in size I make up for in confidence, street smarts and a feisty attitude (I blame NYC for teaching me how to sport a good "bitch face"). So far this has worked out in my favor, so I'm not too worried. I suppose I haven't been away from home for this long... which I must admit isn't so easy for me considering how close I am to my parents. Luckily though Mommio and Daddio will be visiting me. :D (Phew!) So I don't expect to get too homesick.

Now some might say I'm crazy for taking the semester off to go abroad and not receive credit for it. I expected this reaction from most adults, maybe some fellow students, and it is always followed by the same question: "So will you graduate on time or...?" Naturally, that was one of my concerns when I thought about doing this in the first place. Then I thought, does it matter? I know that I am doing something truly worthwhile and important, to others as well as myself. And hey, this is probably be the best time to do it, you know, before I have too many responsibilities and whatnot (hehe).

I'm approaching this as an opportunity to see myself in a different context and to open myself up to the world (one city at a time). I want to absorb all of the information that I can get my hands on. Exercise love and kindness, and welcome new friends to reciprocate. In my experience thus far, there's something about traveling that can reveal things you never knew about yourself. Who am I when I am out of my comfort zone, and who might I become by the end of my adventures? It's time for me to explore my roots so that I can better articulate my identity and make peace within myself, while being a part of a hugely positive movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment